We work with experienced Criminal Defense Attorney's in California. We provide state and federal Criminal Defense Attorney referrals to individuals facing major crimes.
California – DUI - DWI Lawyer
Arrested for DUI - DWI?
DUI Quick Facts:
- "DUI" stands for “Driving under the Influence.”
- “DWI” Stands for “Driving While Intoxicated.”
- A DUI conviction stays on a DMV record for at least 7 years.
- A DUI conviction could jeopardize your employment opportunities.
- A DUI can result in higher insurance premiums, and an offender may become ineligible for credit.
- In California persons charged with driving under the influence are presumed innocent.
- If someone was injured as a result of the drunken driving accident, it is possible the defendant will be charged with a felony and if the victim dies, the driver may be charged with vehicular manslaughter.
- A DUI conviction can be raised to a felony if it is the driver's 4th DUI offense or the driver has had a prior felony DUI offense within 10 years of the new charge.
- First offense penalties can include license suspension, substantial fines, community service, mandatory attendance at a state or DMV approved alcohol program, mandatory overnight incarceration and the required installation (at the offender's expense) of a car ignition locking device.
- To be charged with a DUI or DWI due to the influence of alcohol, your Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) has to be .08 or .10, depending on which state you are in.
Experienced DUI lawyers can help you win your case
- DUI cases are not hopeless. An experienced DUI attorney knows that there are many ways to beat a DUI or DWI case, or at least to keep the penalties for you to a minimum.
- Every DUI or DWI case has its own unique circumstances.In California persons charged with driving under the influence are presumed innocent. Such persons are also entitled to a jury trial.
- If the prosecutor cannot convince all 12 of the jurors of a defendant’s guilt, there is no conviction.
There are three possible results following a jury trial:
- All 12 agree on the defendant’s guilt
- All 12 agree on the defendant’s innocence, or some vote one way and some vote another. The latter situation will likely mean that your case will be dismissed.
- To win your case in some states, you need to convince only one of the 12 jurors to vote not guilty. This is where an experienced DUI lawyer can help you.
Arrested for a DUI or DWI?
A DUI / DWI lawyer can help you with DUI law charges arrest and arraignments.
Different things that can result in getting charged with a DUI or DWI:
- Alcohol Intoxication while using a vehicle.
- Illegal Drug Use while using a vehicle.
- Combining Prescription drugs with Beer or Mixed Drinks.
- Legal Drugs That Cause Drowsiness.
- Consuming Small Amounts of Alcohol While Sleep Deprived.
- The Prescription drug Ambien produced similar symptoms to DUI.
- Serving alcohol to someone that is under 21 who gets charged with a DUI/DWI will get you in trouble as well if it is traced back to you.
- Having an open alcohol container that you are not consuming can get you in trouble.
Law Enforcement Officers use three methods to determine whether a driver has had too much to drink or is too intoxicated by some other means to be driving. These methods include:
- Simple Observation
- Sobriety Test
- Blood Alcohol Test
Penalties for Drunk Driving
The penalties for DUI / DWI can be very complicated. There are a set of penalty guidelines for that are used in the legal process that include;
- You refused to take the Breathalyzer Test.
- You've had a previous DUI / DWI within the past seven years.
- Your BAC was greater than .20%.
- You were speeding in excess of 20 mph.
- There was a minor (under age 14) in the automobile.
Other factors in sentencing are affected by the facts of the case, court policies, any weaknesses uncovered by the defense lawyer and the reputation of that lawyer.
It is important to know what your legal rights are concerning a DUI / DWI. A Drunk Driving Lawyer has expertise in this specific area of law and may be able to help you determine what your next step should be.
If you or a loved one has been charged with a DUI or DWI in California please contact us as soon as possible for a free case review.
How a Defense Attorney can help you:
- Be available 24/7. The key to good defense work is diligence and speed. We take this job seriously.
- Spend crucial time on your case so that it is prepared as good as is possible at each stage in the process.
- Spend time with you (and your family) learning and understanding you and your case.
- Spend time in investigation so that we will know the case better than even the law enforcement agency involved.
- Be in contact with the DA or US Attorney in an attempt to ensure that the case, where possible, is terminated as quickly as possible.
- Hire and manage investigators, who are often able to impeach witnesses for the government who exaggerate or change their stories at trial.
Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney
If you or a family member has been recently arrested you need to talk to a Criminal Defense lawyer as soon as possible. The foremost priority is usually getting a lawyer to help arrange release and provide some information about what's ahead. Use our easy contact form and a lawyer will contact you within 24 hours.
Call toll free if you have a question at 866-757-6949
Keywords| DUI DWI Criminal Lawyer | DUI DWI Criminal Defense Lawyer | DUI DWI Criminal Attorney | DUI DWI Criminal Defense Attorney | DUI DWI Criminal Defense Lawyer | DUI DWI California Defense Lawyer | DUI DWI Defense Attorneys | DUI DWI Criminal Attorneys | DUI DWI California Criminal Defense Attorneys | DUI DWI, California Crime Lawyer | DUI DWI Criminal Defense Lawyer | DUI DWI Criminal Defense Attorney l California Crime Attorney | California CA Crime Attorneys | DUI DWI, California Crime Attorney